Depression is usually a mental condition that is attributed to adults. This is because most of the factors that trigger depression are suffered during adulthood. Those factors include bankruptcy and relationship problems. But nowadays, it is surprising to see how many teenagers are suffering from depression. What could be the reasons for depression among young people?
- Loss of someone special Most depressed teens have lost someone very special to them. That someone might be a family member or a very close friend. If losing someone special has a huge negative impact on an adult’s mental state, how much more damage will it cause to teenagers?
- Lack/rejection of friends Teenagers need good friends in order to live a healthy social life. But there are teenagers out there who do not have friends. This might be because they are different either physically, emotionally, or mentally. There are also teenagers out there who have been rejected by their friends. Teenagers without friends start to have a low self esteem.
- Comparison with other siblings Another common cause of depression among teenagers is comparison between them and their siblings. Oftentimes, parents intentionally or unintentionally compare their children with one another. Of course, this could cause inferiority to other siblings.
- Problematic relationship It is during the teenage years where one starts to have a crush or even fall in love. However, teenagers sometimes could not tell the difference between love and infatuation. Their lack of experience in this field is one of the numerous causes of failed relationships with special partners.
- Failure in school There are some who take academics really seriously that when they fail, they get depressed. Teenagers who are lagging behind in their classes are usually the ones who suffer from various mental problems and these include depression.
- Hereditary There are cases wherein depression runs in the family. Thus, teenagers often find themselves wondering how they are depressed. They might also find themselves getting depressed even over very minor issues in life.
- Lack of ability to do something Teenagers also feel depressed whenever they want to do something that they could not do. Because of their incapability, they feel worthless. Of course, a feeling of worthlessness would most definitely lead to depression.
These are just some of the numerous causes of depression among teenagers. Professional depression treatment is advised before bad things could happen to the mental and physical well-being of the depressed teen.